1. What is an API?
APIs are Application Programming Interfaces. It is a set of routines, protocols and tools for building software applications. APIs are sets of requirements that govern how one application can talk to another. APIs are especially important because, they dictate how developers can create new apps that tap into big web services and social network. APIs facilitate interaction by selectively exposing certain functionalities, allowing different applications/websites/devices to communicate effectively with each other.
2. What is SAP API Management solution?
API Management is the process of publishing, promoting and overseeing APIs in a secure and scalable manner. SAP API Management has various capabilities to provide unified access and orchestration based on open standards like REST, OData, OAuth and many more with enterprise grade security and seamless connectivity to existing SAP back-ends. This simplifies the way developers go about integrating with their SAP and non-SAP applications, reducing cost, fostering innovation and participating in the larger API economy. SAP API Management is powered by the SAP HANA Cloud Platform, the powerful in-memory Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) offering from SAP that enables customers and developers to build, extend, and run applications on SAP HANA in the cloud.
3. What does SAP API Management deliver?
With SAP API Management, you can:
- Increase workforce productivity
- Personalize consumer engagement
- Provide enterprise grade security
- Reduce IT complexity and total cost of ownership
- Create custom apps quickly and easily
- Co-innovation with partners and customers
- Open up new business channels and revenue streams
- Reduce initial infrastructure investment
- Quickly modernize your business applications
4. What is the value customers should expect from SAP API Management?
With flexible subscription models and services for infrastructure, database and application development, it provides instant access to the full power of SAP HANA including best-in-business historical and predictive analytics. With robust services for integration, identity management, API management, mobile and collaboration, HCP makes all the complicated stuff simple, so you can quickly modernize your business applications. API management allows enterprises to selectively externalize their assets not just via the traditional browser-centric model but also over mobile devices and other channels. This flexibility allows for provided services to be consumed on any platform. The cloud allows this to be done securely, and with the scalability to meet demand as needed at low investment cost, amortized over a subscription model. SAP API Management provides enhanced collaboration and co-innovation with business partners / consumers / developers by rapid onboarding and easy data visibility. By allowing customers, partners, suppliers and all users of enterprise services to directly access relevant information, enterprises drive increased revenue since information flows on-demand, in real-time. Developer portal reduces internal developments costs, and frees up developer teams to tackle other projects.
5. Who is SAP API Management solution designed for?
Any customer can choose to incorporate this solution. Customers who don’t want to invest lot in infrastructure, but at the same time want to provide solution to the consumers in fast and effective manner, will go for this cloud offering. They can also deploy mixed mode, using cloud offering for B2C scenarios and On-Premise offering for B2E scenarios.
Solution is cross-industry, cross-LOB and supports B2B, B2C & B2E scenarios. However, following industries are leveraging API management type solutions in large scale
- Consumer industries
6. What are the technical benefits of using SAP API Management?
- APIs are the core of “System of engagement” and are built on enabling efficient delivery and distribution of content and services. The SAP API Management capabilities enable business towards simplifying the way developers go about integrating with their SAP and non-SAP applications reducing cost, fostering innovations and improving participation in the API economy.(For details refer http://www.gartner.com/it-glossary/pace-layered-application-strategy/)
- SAP API Management not only provides enterprise grade security that ensures optimized performance, but also helps monitor and manage APIs
- Unlike SOA strategies, that typically assume that internal users are accessing the services; an API strategy targets engagement with a variety of business and software development partners that are as likely to be external as internal. SAP API Management delivers important additional capabilities: developer portal, key management and approval, metering and billing capabilities.
- With robust services for integration, identity management, API management, mobile and collaboration, HCP makes all the complicated stuff simple, so you can quickly modernize your business applications.
7. What is the pricing model for SAP API Management?
Volume and functionality based pricing with minimum 12 months subscription:
- SAP API Mgmt, standard cloud edition : up to 50 Million API calls per month
- SAP API Mgmt, premier cloud edition : up to 80 Million API calls per month
- SAP API Mgmt, enterprise cloud edition : up to 200 Million API calls per month
8. How is SAP API Management placed in SAP portfolio?
SAP has many API providers such as SAP Gateway, SAP HANA Platform, SuccessFactors and many more in the road map. There is a need of a solution to manage the numerous SAP and non-SAP APIs. SAP API Management helps unlock the value of digital assets, enabling in creating and delivering content and business services to consumers, partners and developers
9. Are there any business use cases?
Business to Consumer use case in Retail Industry –
- Real-time information
- Consumable interface
- Creation of an API Management platform to quickly expose the APIs.
- API Management solution in a SaaS-based model, with gateway, analytics, and developer services all hosted in the cloud
- Onboard partners securely and efficiently.
- Approach fits well with the online business model.
- Out-of-the-box platform
- Capabilities such as policies, key management, security, caching, and analytics
Business to Business use case in Cross Industry (Healthcare and Retail)
- Increasing competition in the fitness app arena for consumer mindshare
- Need to connect consumers to their favorite devices and fitness equipment
- Drive brand loyalty
- APIs offered to third parties on the partner and developer portal managed through the API Management platform.
- Scalable, expanded reach to millions of users
- Create developer relationships and foster co-innovation
- Control over apps
- Leveraging existing technology
- Reducing re-engineering
Business to Employee use case in Healthcare Industry
- Real-time access to records across multiple devices and various locations
- Maintaining data security
- Ensuring patient privacy
- Creation of standardized APIs to provide an alternative access method to the back-end systems.
- Development of new, intuitive user interfaces (or lightweight applications) that could be delivered, monitored, managed, and analyzed.
- Efficiency and productivity gains in the patient care
- Secure patient records
- Employee satisfaction
10. Where can I learn more on SAP API Management?
We have great resources to get you started with SAP API Management for e.g.
- SCN - http://scn.sap.com/community/api-management
- SAP - http://hcp.sap.com/capabilities/api-management.html & API Management | Application Programming Interface | SAP
- Social media channels:
- YouTube: http://spr.ly/youtube-sap-api-management
- Facebook: SAP Cloud: https://www.facebook.com/SAPCloudSolutions SAP Developers: https://www.facebook.com/sapdevelopers
- Twitter: SAP Cloud: https://twitter.com/SAPCloud, SAP Developers: https://twitter.com/sapdevs
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/sap-developers
11. What are the system requirements for this solution?
There are no specific system requirements. There is no installation required on customer site.
12. How is the solution able to expose registered services to external parties?
The SAP API Management (provided as on-premise and cloud offering and running along with SAP Process Orchestration) provides capabilities to register and expose services as APIs and supports REST, OData, SOAP or any other HTTP based services.
13. Does SAP API Management have the ability to monitor performance and utilization of all registered services?
The SAP API Management comes with comprehensive analytical capabilities to analyse the exposed APIs and backend service performance, latency, error rate, average response times, moving average, anomalies, etc. to just name a few. These capabilities will let you inspect and troubleshoot any issues in the system.
14. Is there a dashboard of who is consuming the APIs?
The management user interface that comes with SAP API Management comes with an intuitive dashboard that includes various views such as: API traffic, top executed APIs, top developers etc. These out of the box dashboards can be extended to include customer reports and add them to existing or new dashboard views.
15. How is the governance managed in SAP API Management?
SAP API Management’s runtime engine is policy driven. This means that policies are decoupled from the service definition and can be dynamically linked to these APIs or services to enforce minimal or maximum levels of operation and Quality of Service. It is possible to use from an existing out of the box set of policies or create your own.
16. Can this solution link to backend ESB services or additional data sources?
SAP API Management provides capabilities to connect to any set of ESB services running locally or remotely. In the same way it can expose APIs or services for consumption, it can also connect and integrate with a variety of backend systems as well.
17. Does it have the ability to apply and change policies to APIs for security, throttling, prioritisation, rate limitations with no API downtime?
SAP API Management provides a high availability setup and configuration. In addition, the Comprehensive Provisioning and Deployment set of capabilities enables the quick association of policies to services through a single click and automatically switch to a new API or service behaviour.
18. Does it have the ability for consumers to self-serve on specified APIs?
The Developer services of SAP API Management enables developers (the target audience for API management) to self-service themselves and use any published API or service. This is done through an intuitive web-based interface.
19. Does it have the ability to insert or restrict certain behaviours?
The policy driven API runtime of SAP API Management enables API developers to define and modify the behaviour of the APIs or services de-coupled from the integrated target or backend service or system.
20. What are the throttling capabilities of SAP API Management?
Among some of the most relevant capabilities offered by SAP API Management to manage access on API or services we find: quotas for a time period, concurrency access limits, and acceptable spike limits, configuration of caches to accelerate and boost performance.
21. How can I request access to free trial version of SAP API Management cloud edition?
A trial version of the SAP API Management cloud edition is now available in the trial version of HANA Cloud Platform (HCP). A trial account of HANA Cloud Platform can be created at https://account.hanatrial.ondemand.com
22. What features are included in trial version?
Full functionality of the Standard Cloud Edition is included in trial version, but it cannot be deployed on production. Please reach out to your Account Executive for test and evaluation license.
23. What is SAP HANA Cloud Platform (HCP)?
SAP HANA Cloud Platform is an in-memory cloud platform based on open standards. It provides access to a feature-rich, easy-to-use development environment in the cloud. The platform includes a comprehensive set of services for integration, enterprise mobility, collaboration, and analytics. SAP HANA Cloud Platform enables customers and partners to rapidly build, deploy, and manage cloud-based enterprise applications that complement and extend your SAP or non-SAP solutions, either On-Premise or In-Cloud.
24. IS SAP API Management solution a public cloud offering?
SAP API Management solution runs in SAP HANA Cloud Platform. It is currently not available in other cloud offerings such as AWS (Amazon Web Services), Microsoft Azure etc.
25. IS SAP API Management solution multi-tenant?
Yes it is multi-tenant solution.
26. Where are the data centres located for SAP API Management solution?
SAP API Management solution runs from SAP data centres in Germany.
27. How do I get the support for SAP API Management solution?
Support is provided through standard SAP support channels.
1. What are the security capabilities of SAP API Management?
- The security policies of SAP API Management provide XML Threat Protection, JSON Threat Protection in addition to Message Validation policy for XML Schemas (XSDs) and WSDL definitions.
- HTTP header filtering and evaluation of content-level & regular expression validation:
The mediation policies that can be defined and associated to an API or Service enable extraction, filtering and manipulation of messages including headers, URI paths, payloads, and query parameters.
- Enforcement of rules for identity, HTTP verbs and URI’s, etc.:
SAP API Management’s API runtime enables fine grained policy definition providing policy enforcement on API resources (URIs, HTTP verbs) level.
- Identity & Access Management and Active Directory support:
SAP API Management provides capabilities to leverage any external identity provider for authentication and authorization including Active Directory.
2. What are the different authentication mechanisms supported by SAP API Management?
- SAML 2.0
SAP API Management provides capabilities to generate and validate SAML assertions. The API platform can act as an identity provider and as a service provider as well.
SAP API Management provides capabilities to configure and enforce OAuth authorization using out of the box policies.
- Client Certificate
SAP API Management provides Client SSL enabling authentication and encryption of all messages flowing over the network from SAP API Management to the backend services.
- Key & Certificate repository/management
SAP API Management provides capabilities to create keystores and truststores that provide the necessary keys and X.509 digital certificates.
Architecture and Development
1. How scalable is SAP API Management?
SAP API Management enables provisioning, governance, scalability and security of enterprise information for digital assets. Customers can also scale up to billions of API calls per month.
2. What are the different subscription options?
Solution is offered in 3 tiers based on volume and functionality:
- SAP API Management, standard cloud edition: up to 50 Million API calls per month
- SAP API Management, premier cloud edition: up to 80 Million API calls per month
- SAP API Management, enterprise cloud edition: up to 200 Million API calls per month
3. What kind of application can we develop on SAP API Management?
The options on the kind of applications developed is boundless, but some of the common scenarios are
- Innovative apps for end consumers/ employees – the abundant backend data can be securely accessed to create innovative apps to reach directly to consumers and provide relevant information to employees
- Internet of Things – Developer tools provided, help in creating apps that can communicate with each other via multiple devices and channels.
To check the FAQs for SAP API Management- On Premise edition, please visit: SAP API Management by Apigee (on-premise offering) FAQ